Credit Report Errors

Under the FCRA, both the CRA and the organization that provided the information to the CRA, such as a bank or credit card company, have responsibilities for correcting inaccurate or incomplete information in consumer credit reports. If a consumer disputes an item on the credit report in writing, the CRAs must reinvestigate the items in question within 30 days. After the information provider receives notice of a dispute from the CRA, it must investigate, review all relevant information provided by the CRA, and report the results to the CRA. If the information provider finds the disputed information to be inaccurate, it must notify all nationwide CRAs. Disputed information that cannot be verified must be deleted from a consumer credit report. When the reinvestigation is complete, the CRA must give the consumer written results and a free copy of the report if the dispute results in a change. If an item is changed or removed, the CRA cannot put the disputed information back into a consumer file unless the information provider verifies its accuracy and completeness, and the CRA gives the consumer a written notice that includes the name, address, and phone number of the provider. Upon a consumer request, the CRA must send a notice of a correction to anyone who received a report in the previous six months. Job applicants can have a corrected copy of their report sent to anyone who received a copy during the past two years for employment purposes. If a reinvestigation does not resolve a dispute, consumers have a right to ask the CRA to include a statement of the dispute in the file and in future reports.

Inside Credit Report Errors